Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Role of the Public Librarian

The combination of the arrival of Web 2.0 and the worst economic condition since the Depression are morphing today’s librarians into a new breed—Librarian 2.0—and the evolution will need to continue as librarians will now need to be customer service professionals as well.

Today’s librarians serve as Web 2.0 filters and interpreters, employment agents, and personal librarians—I use the term in relation to a personal shopper. High-end retailers employ personal shoppers to provide special attention and offer advice to special clients. Now, I’m not suggesting that libraries need additional staff to cater to each individual, but there should be a mind-set to really go out of the way to help people individually. In an article about customer service, Linda C. Brown and Benjamin Layne discuss one of the most important customer service tools—the pickle (Brown & Layne, 2005).

You may be wondering what pickles have to do with customer service, so I will explain. Bob Farrell owned an ice cream parlor and restaurant called Farrell’s and customer service was his top priority. One day he received a letter from an upset customer complaining that he didn’t get his extra pickle that he always got because one of Farrell’s employees wanted to charge him. Because of the attitude he received from the staff, the customer planned never to return. Farrell’s response was to, “Give ‘em the pickle!” ("Give 'em the Pickle," 2009). I have actually had the pickle training through two different companies, and I couldn’t agree more. Brown and Layne also mention Disneyland, and as a former cast member myself (Disney Hollywood Studios formerly Disney MGM-Studios) I was empowered to make decisions that would benefit the guest. If a child dropped their ice cream cone, you would just get them another one, no manager needed, no waiting, no question. People never forget this kind of service.

Even though library patrons do not pay does not mean that they don’t expect the same level of service or better than they would a trusted retailer. The pickle is the attitude that we have about serving our community. If we really want to prove the value of the library to the community, local politicians, or anyone else, one of the best ways to do that is with stellar customer service.

Part of this outstanding service we will need to provide will be a well versed knowledge of finding the most reliable information in Web 2.0 and online job applications, but also to keep a balance between technological and online services versus more traditional services like the most recent and relevant books and periodicals, newspapers with classified ads, and even add some classes like resume critiquing and job interview workshops, depending on what the community needs.
Using Web 2.0 applications to help determine what those needs might be is the most important thing librarians can do to continue down the path of change the profession is undergoing.

Librarians have traditionally had a reputation for being quiet and reserved, but a Librarian 2.0 will be an outgoing personable friend to the community, but also to individual patrons which is why public libraries will always be a valued necessity, no matter how much funding is cut.

Sources:

Brown, L. C., & Layne, B. (2005). Lessons from thse Ice Cream Parlor. AALL Spectrum, 9(6), 2.
Give 'em the Pickle (2009). Retrieved February 27, 2009, 2009, from http://www.giveemthepickle.com/

11 comments:

Jessica Carmody said...

I remember the pickle training videos from the variety of restaurants I worked at, its a great philosophy for any customer-oriented industry.

Jill S. said...

Good post. No matter how technology changes, the personal side of any organization is what leaves a lasting impression.

Ji said...

This is the first time I came across with the term "pickle". I cheer for the "pickle" service. I remember how I was ashamed to ask for another ice cream cone whenever my son dropped his ice cream right after he had his first bite into it. I think the patrons should never feel hesitant to ask the librarians for their needs.

M said...

I have to admit that the manager of the local Big Boy here in Mt. Pleasant told me that all staff are trained with the "pickle" philosophy. If I ever have a disagreement with a waitress I plan on saying, "Give me the pickle!"

Anonymous said...

I like how you linked "the pickle" theory to libraries. I know I've mentioned on Blackboard several times, but I really think that customer service should be in the librarian's mind at all times. The patron is why there are libraries in the first place.

Kara DeMott said...

I recently interviewed for a library position, one of the first questions I was asked was about customer service. When I read their strategic report for the year, it was the number one thing the library was focusing on. Customer service does seem to be a big part of future libraries.

Mike Sullivan said...

Patron service and satisfaction have been the focus of our library system as long as I've been here. I know that we've been giving them the pickle, because, every so often, they give us the pickle! It can be a check for $5-$20 for work the genealogy dept. did, or brownies to the circulation staff for smiling, or just letters and email to the reference staff for being invaluable. And then there's the best pickle of all - approval of library operating millages!
(No trip to Detroit was ever complete without a stop at Farrell's - I-75 & 14 Mile - Someplace I must have a "I made a pig of myself at Farrell's" button somewhere for eating "the trough". Thanks for the memories!)

Mike Sullivan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike Sullivan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
eric said...

It's definitely what people have come to expect from libraries. It is always my goal to say "yes" to everyone as much as possible. I also absolutely hate going to someplace where the sales clerks are patronizing about your tastes or what you are looking for... I try really hard to be sincere when dealing with the public.

Sometimes I wonder, though, when I hear people say that I have a cake job ("you just sit around and read all day!") if maybe our relentless public service isn't a disservice to us. My solution is every once in a while, whip patrons into shape with a mini-lecture on the merits of 4 century BC representative democracy, as exhibited in Athens, compared to contemporary oligarchies, or the ever-fascinating dual monarchy of Sparta (!!!!!!). This usually lets them know that while I may be the smilingest, nicest guy around, I am also a library ninja and am not to be trifled with.

Anne said...

For me the litmus test of a restaurant has always been the “extra sour cream” request. If it’s handled graciously without extra charges I give ‘em a big ‘ol gold star.
It seems to me that no matter what field, whether a nurse, a realtor, an engineer, a librarian, a Comcast Cable employee, even the office mole stuck in a cubicle… the end result is what have you contributed? In almost all cases it is the end user that judges your success. In my case, were my quesadilla’s covered?